Cricket is the most popular sport in India. It is played by many people throughout the country. The Indian national cricket team won the 1983 Cricket World Cup, the 2007 ICC World Twenty20, the 2011 Cricket World Cup, the 2013 ICC Champions Trophy, and shared the 2002 ICC Champions Trophy with Sri Lanka. Domestic competitions include the Ranji Trophy, the Duleep Trophy, the Vijay Hazare Trophy, the Deodhar Trophy, the Irani Trophy and the NKP Salve Challenger Trophy. In addition, BCCI conducts the Indian Premier League, a Twenty20 competition.
So let’s take a look….
1. India won their second World Cup 28 years later in 2011 and remarkably won their second ever Test at Lord’s three years later in 2014.
2. Chris Gayle is the only batsman to hit a six off the first ball of a Test match
3. There’s only one person who witnessed Jim Laker and Anil Kumble taking 10 wickets in an innings
4. Shahid Afridi used Sachin Tendulkar’s bat to hit the fastest ever ODI century
5. ML Jaisimha and Ravi Shastri are the only Indians to bat on all five days of a Test
6. Vinod Kambli’s Test match average is better than his childhood friend Sachin Tendulkar
7. India is the only country to win the 60-Over, 50-Over and 20-Over World Cup
8. All four innings of a test on the same day
9. Peter Siddle is the only bowler to take a hat-trick on his birthday
10. India’s Mohinder Amarnath is the only cricketer to be dismissed for handling the ball and obstructing the field